top of page
You have a driving licence
issued in EU/EEA countries
Your licence can be used for driving in Norway.

If you have a permanent residence in Norway, you can exchange your licence for a Norwegian licence without any driving exam.


If you want to exchange your driving licence issued in another EU/EEA country, you have to:

Either go to a driver and vehicle licensing office – TRAFIKKSTASJON – STATENS VEGVESEN,

Or submit the application by post.

In both cases, you need:

  • A completed application form

  • Submit your original driving licence

  • Documentation of when you took up permanent residence in Norway.

When you receive the Norwegian licence, your foreign licence will be returned to the issuing country, and your new Norwegian driving licence will then be valid in all EU/EEA countries.

Information from Statens vegvesen:

Driving licences from the UK

"You can exchange your British driving licence for a Norwegian driving licence according to the rules that apply to driving licences from EEA countries. This applies even if your driving licence was issued after the UK left the EU".

Check for further informations

You have a foreign driving license issued outside the EU/EEA countries.

Driving licence from countries outside EU/EEA can be not be exchanged to a Norwegian driving lisence (some countries are excepted, please see below)

In general, you will have to complete the mandatory Courses, in addition to pass a theory test and a practical driving test at a TRAFIKKSTASJON – STATENS VEGVESEN.


Driving licence from following countries outside EU/EEA can be exchanged after passing a practical driving test at a TRAFIKKSTASJON – STATENS VEGVESEN

  • Australia

  • Canada

  • Hong Kong

  • Israel

  • Monaco

  • New Zealand

  • San Marino

  • South Korea

  • USA

  • Switzerland

  • Greenland

  • Japan


  • You have to pass the practical driving test within a deadline of one year  from the date you took up permanent resident.

  • If you fail your first attempt, or do not comply with the deadline, you will have to pass a theory test and a practical driving test at a TRAFIKKSTASJON – STATENS VEGVESEN, in addition to completing the mandatory courses.

  • Very often it is necessary to book the test 1-2 months ahead because of long waiting time for the practical driving test.

  • You must arrange with a driving school to rent a car for the driving exam.

bottom of page